Radiator Springs Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Sim Racing netKar PRO

+5
laurent resende
M Carey
MikaRaymond
Mark Schilling
Andrea Lojelo
9 posters

G25 vs G27

Andrea Lojelo
    Andrea Lojelo
    ---
    ---

G25 vs G27 Empty G25 vs G27

Post by Andrea Lojelo Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:05 pm

I had my G25 for almost 4 years and I did tons of virtual kilometers with it. After 4 years of heavy use, it got broken. Suddenly I got some smoke coming out from the wheel.
    I contacted the Logitech support, that immediately sent me a brand new G27, even if my warrenty was over.
    Fantastic customer support!

I've been always very happy about my G25, that I consider a really good wheel. Obviously I was quite curious to try out the new G27 to be able to compare the two.

It was quite obvious from my first laps with the G27, that the two wheels where pretty much the same. Both with a very nice force feedback and great precision.
    There are tiny differences between the two wheels:
    G27:
    + more buttons on the wheel. This is obviously a very good point.
    + the brake has a more progressive spring, improving a lot the braking feeling.
    + they added a small element behind the brake pedal (black element on the pic below). This helps a lot to do the heel-and-toe. I was amazed about it. It's much much simpler!
    G25 vs G27 G27pedals
    + led lights on the wheel for the revs (works by default with nk also). I doubt I will ever look at my wheel to shift though!
    + stiffer H-shifter. The shifter is much nicer. Changing gear with the H-shifter feels much better.
    - if I'm not mistaken it's not possible anymore to select the Sequential shifter. I've to say that in 4 years I might have used the sequencial shifter maybe 5 times. not a big deal for me, but maybe this can be a problem for someone.
    + the initialization of the wheel it's a bit faster, and maybe even less noisy

Do you have a G25 and you are thinking to change it for a G27? My suggestion is to spend your money in a different way.
    It's not worthed! The G27 is a very good wheel, but the differences are really minor.

From my personal experience, I've to say that I'm fully satisfied about the G25, and for this first impression about the G27 too.
    Huge difference with the entry level wheels. I tried the logitech DFP, for example, and the difference is huge. Not so much on the feedback, but on the overall quality and the pedals.

I would be very curious to try even a fanatec wheel to feel the difference.
    Mark Schilling
    Mark Schilling
    Driver
    Driver

G25 vs G27 Empty Re: G25 vs G27

Post by Mark Schilling Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:14 pm

The gearing system in the force feedback motors in the G27 is better too. Using helical gears instead of straight cut, so gives alot smoother delivery of force feedback.
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

Post by MikaRaymond Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:50 pm

im in almost exactly the same position as you andrea. ive owned a g25 for more than 4 years, and im currently on my 4th g27 in 2 years. the g27 may have the LED's, more buttons, a better shifter and so on, but talking about physical feeling, the g25 is better. the hellical gears mean the FFB isnt as nearly as strong as the g25's. i could go into detail but im too lazy :p

if you have a g25, dont get a g27 - spend your money elsewhere.
    M Carey
    M Carey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by M Carey Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Only way I can see myself missing the sequential shift is when we're able to map the handbrake. But as cars no longer roll around in nKPro at the start, I can't really see this being an issue either (unless someone converts a rally course or one of the Race Of Champions circuits Wink). I hope my G25 lasts forever though, it's one of the few electrical purchases I'm completely happy with, and probably the only that hasn't depreciated like a stone Smile
    laurent resende
    laurent resende
    Driver
    Driver

Post by laurent resende Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:27 am

Marius sleeps alone mine ( G25 ) 4 years without any problems, a small fault
    2 times at the downshift speed, but as it was in the race and that this almost make me lose, I currently use the G27 but the G25 still works I used for troubleshooting, and I will not say return the G27 is really not perfect!
    Martin Hussey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Martin Hussey Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:35 pm

M Carey wrote:Only way I can see myself missing the sequential shift is when we're able to map the handbrake. But as cars no longer roll around in nKPro at the start, I can't really see this being an issue either (unless someone converts a rally course or one of the Race Of Champions circuits Wink). I hope my G25 lasts forever though, it's one of the few electrical purchases I'm completely happy with, and probably the only that hasn't depreciated like a stone Smile

*ahem* http://netkarcentral.com/wiki/tutorials/item/163-set-up-the-handbrake-with-glovepie Wink

I use the sequential shifter all the time. In rally games, it makes an awesome handbrake.

I was going to upgrade to the G27. Decided against it when i read stuff about Logitech cheaping out a bit on the construction. More plastic, less real materials. They claim its to make everything smoother. Its a steering wheel, not a sodding luxury bed.

I'll use my G25 until it breaks. then i'll either repair it, or buy a used one.
    laurent resende
    laurent resende
    Driver
    Driver

Post by laurent resende Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Martin you are right, the G27 is all plastic!! like dustbin! ( joke, this is still a quality product )
    seems it to Logitech after that to reduce the temperature of the wheel, I think it's mainly to reduce costs
    G25 in all gears are metal, which may explain its strength.
    Unfortunately have not found on the new home market no, when to it are really very Occasion rare, G25 owners keep them until the end
    Martin Hussey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Martin Hussey Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Choosing plastic gears to reduce heat is like cutting the roof off your car to make it more fuel economic. COMPLETELY pointless.If the gears are causing heat, work on better lubrication or improve the design of the gears. If i'm spending >£200 on any product i want to be damn sure its going to last as long as i do.

I recall the early G25's had problems with the motors overheating, though. Not had any problems with mine (pre-order from Logitech) but if overheating was the problem, its nothing that cant be fixed with a heatsink. Thats a mod that could be applied for a few quid, and would drasticly improve the performance (and longevity) of the motors.

This would be great
    This would be better

Cant say i've actually seen the motors in person, but they look like 540's.
    M Waechter
    Driver
    Driver

Post by M Waechter Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:02 pm

The only wheels I have are two used G25 bought at ebay for 100 Euro each one.. Smile.
    Both work fine, but one of them has a little bit of room in the middle-wheel-position (german: "Spiel") the other one not, it's more tight in the middle
    position though it seemed more used then the other. Seems some have room in middle position straight out of the factory I guess (sometimes you have luck to get a tighter one there
    and sometimes you've no luck).

-I don't recognize any big heat of the motors, maybe that is because I'm using just 40% general FF + central-spring also at 40% in logitech profiler.. (so there is a lower FF power on the motros)
    and 0.800 FF in NKPro.-

I'm using the one which feels tighter in middle position, the only defect it has is a not working 6th gear in the H-shifter (mircoswitch at 6th gear has no contact mostly),
    but I could replace it with the other H-shifter from the other G25 then problem is solved.
    At this wheel I also had to fix the right paddle-shifter at the wheel, because that microswitch had a too early, nearly self-contact even when just kind of 'blowing some air' at the metal of
    the shifter..Wink, so I removed the wheel and placed some paper between that right microswitch and the metal-paddle inside there.. to add some more room between paddle and switch.
    After that the right shifter worked and still works correctly now.
    Martin Hussey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Martin Hussey Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:42 pm

I read somewhere that the G25 gets sloppy in the middle if the gearbox has been taken apart. The gears that turn the wheel need to be perfectly aligned or there is a bit of free-play when the wheel is central. i'll try to find the article on it and will post.
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

Post by MikaRaymond Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Martin Hussey wrote:I read somewhere that the G25 gets sloppy in the middle if the gearbox has been taken apart. The gears that turn the wheel need to be perfectly aligned or there is a bit of free-play when the wheel is central. i'll try to find the article on it and will post.
    it happens with all G25/27 wheels. there is about 3mm play at the center of the wheel.
    Jeff Paul
    Jeff Paul
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Jeff Paul Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 pm

I think the porsche 911 GT3 V2 blows them both out of the water. Just my opinion. G25 vs G27 659651
    Martin Hussey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Martin Hussey Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:53 pm

Jeff Paul wrote:I think the porsche 911 GT3 V2 blows them both out of the water. Just my opinion. G25 vs G27 659651

Pedals, yes.

Wheel, no way.
    paul thomas
    Driver
    Driver

Post by paul thomas Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:01 pm

New wheel and pedals from Fanetec

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/09/forza-motorsport-csr-and-csr-elite-wheel-and-pedals-hands-on/
    Martin Hussey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Martin Hussey Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Top swing (almost) out of the box? YES PLEASE.
    M Carey
    M Carey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by M Carey Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:17 pm

G25 vs G27 1nkb9
    I'm pretty excited by this. No doubt I won't be able to afford it, but even so a proper F1 wheel, should be sweeeeeeet!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm