Radiator Springs Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Sim Racing netKar PRO

3 posters

Tire Temps.

Driver
    Driver

Tire Temps. Empty Tire Temps.

Post by ..... Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:31 am

Is there any way of freezing the tire tempurature values after doing a test run? It's hard to analyze your temps when the values are changing.
    Andrea Lojelo
    Andrea Lojelo
    ---
    ---

Tire Temps. Empty Re: Tire Temps.

Post by Andrea Lojelo Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 am

no
    Driver
    Driver

Post by ..... Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 am

Hmmmm. I think Kunos should change that.
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

Post by MikaRaymond Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:10 am

why?

doing that would be boring. you need to learn to adapt to the car / game / circuit and make judgements based on what is available to you. it brings a new challenge rather than just "freezing" stuff, which isnt realistic. it means you can explore the game more and adapt your knowledge.

if youre having problems with temps, theres a few things you can do:

1) increase the ARB all round. if you do some testing (which i imagine you havent, but need to start doing it Wink) drive the car with the default ARB round barcelona for a few laps. check the temps, then do the same again with the ARB on 0. youll see the 0 ARB run increases the temps massively. you need to find a balance and compromise temps for handling.
    2) try to change your driving style. maybe you corner too hard or are on the power too early.
    3) change the PSI of the tyre:
    - increasing the PSI will decrease the chances of the tyres overheating
    - doing this, however, lowers the grip ever so slightly. lower psi tyres have more grip than higher psi tyres. again, balance and compromise between grip and temps
    - if you raise the PSI, the car will have a slightly better top end speed and ride slightly higher than usual. this is because the wheel is more round, reducing friction between the surface.
    - maybe the car is sliding too much? dont forget, sliding the car generates hear, so you might need to increase the downforce. doing this, though, pushes the car harder into the ground, giving more overall grip. however, if you are still sliding with higher DF, the tyres will burn even more, because they are being pushed harder into the ground when you do it.
    Driver
    Driver

Post by ..... Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks Mika. The Abarth is frustrating me a bit because I was getting beat by 2.5 seconds at newbury. I've been doing some testing Wink and now I'm down to 1.05. So I'm getting there. I didn't know how much the ARB affects the tire temps though.
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

Post by MikaRaymond Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 pm

if you think about it, the ARB limits how much horizontal movement there is. if you go round a corner flat out with no arb, gravity forces the car onto one particular side. the more arb you have, the less this will happen. too much arb means the tyres will scrub too much and loose grip because the car isnt "flexing" enough. does that make sense?

the thing to do is find a balance in the setup that feels comfortable and keep working on it. theres no point in starting again every time something doesnt feel right. make extreme changes to the setup to see what different things do. remember though - this is only for testing. when creating a setup for real, the smallest changes make the biggest difference!
    Driver
    Driver

Post by ..... Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Makes sense. Sometimes I think you have to be a automotive engineer to setup these cars. Laughing
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

Post by MikaRaymond Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 pm

you just gotta put a little thought into it Wink

the more you learn about it, the better it is for yourself. it allows you to tune the car in such a way that suits your driving style. ive driven fast setups before but ive hated them. because i know the basics, it allows me to make the car feel how i want it to feel, which then allows me to tweak it and get faster (i hope Very Happy)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:26 pm